Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wisconsin Teenage Shooting

  Let them YELL! We have had two teenage to young men tragedies this last week; from a young man wanting to kill children in a bombing attempt in Oregon to last nights hostage and attempted suicide in Wisconsin. In both situations we hear that so common statement "they were quiet and to themselves".
In dealing with troubled youth for 15 years I have found this is the most dangerous attitude. The boy that is quiet is easy to deal with - but the turmoil inside is the danger. The boy who is yelling and expressing how upset he is is the one that we actually can deal with.
I lost a boy to suicide who would sit in the back of my Sunday school class and never speak up - since then I never let any boy sit in the back. They have to be in the circle and they have to express themselves even if it comes out violently.
Trying to stop the yelling is not my goal - my goal is to find out what the problem is and deal with it.

I'm sure there are many opinions on this and every child is a unique individual that needs unique direction so all comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment